Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Highland BLOOMS: postage stamp garden

My friend Sarah and her husband Howard in a moment of weakness agreed to open their delightful hidden garden behind their Craftsman bungalow for the Highland BLOOMS tour--this despite Sarah being co-chair of the event!  Sarah collected items for the Red Tag Sale table. She baked over 530 Neiman Marcus cookies that were served at another garden's lemonade and cookie stand.  Sarah also assumed responsibility for finding, rooting, digging, potting, keeping alive all the passalong plants given away at her house during the tour, so people could participate in the gardener's tradition of passing along bits of their well-loved gardens. Once an older Highland gentleman advised me never to say thank you when someone gives you a plant--if you do, it will die. You can say, "I appreciate it," or "I'll think of you every time I see this plant in my garden."

I knew people would love sharing the beauty and personality of Sarah and Howard's garden.  Basking in the glow of another highly successful "Highland Experience, " I think they are happy they made the sacrifice of time, effort and money to enhance their already near-perfect outdoor living space for "company."
Tour goers arrive at this classic Craftsman bungalow to see the lush, hidden garden
 in rear of home.

Tour patrons peruse the tables of passalong plants in the drive-way
Then select the perfect plant from the passalong table.

The Red Tag Table of Vintage Garden-Related Items
What a delight to wander through the small garden rooms.

Tour goers leaving with their wares.
Hidden corner of the garden





Even Howard's & Sarah's dogs got into the spirit of the day.



We now leave our postage stamp garden tour with a view of the outdoor dining area where I hope Sarah and Howard are kicking back with a big pitcher of her famous Sangria toasting themselves!

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could have made it to the tour! But thanks, Teresa, for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, when you have a chance, check out the photo gallery at thehighlandexperience community page--
      https://www.facebook.com/#!/HighlandExperience/photos

      Delete
  2. Your voice made my day. And you are correct, time spent showing this neighborhood is worth every energy and moment of time. Thanks for this wonderful note!

    ReplyDelete