Thursday, January 9, 2014

Home Again

After spending Christmas in Louisiana, I hopped in the car on December 27 and drove to Virginia to see my mother, my sister and brother-in-law.  I always enjoy my trips back to the mountains of Virginia and this recent trip was no exception.  My sister lives in Williamsburg so she was only in our hometown for a couple of days but we still had a chance to catch up.  My other sister and her husband were visiting their daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren in the Czech Republic, so our family was a bit like ping pong balls this holiday season, bouncing back and forth.

I had lunch with one of my college friends, which always makes the visits to Virginia special, and we even had a little snow one day to accentuate the holiday feeling.


This was the view of the skiff of snow that covered the ground as seen from the kitchen window at Mother's house.  We spent many an evening after supper during our childhood and adolescence standing there, washing dishes, before our family got a dish washer--after we all left home!  We had specific jobs which rotated each week. One daughter washed dishes, while one used tongs to remove the dishes from the sink with the hot rinse water and put them in the dish drain.  The third daughter dried dishes if they didn't fit into the drainer, wiped off the table and kitchen counters and swept the floor.  It goes without saying that our working mother was very organized.

It soon was time to return home to Louisiana after a week in Virginia, and husband Ricky was glad to see me.



It was a wonderful holiday, but now all the Christmas decorations must go back into the attic so we can gear up for Mardi Gras season!!!!

 
 

Mardi Gras means a big party at our house during the neighborhood parade.  A good time is had by young and old alike!!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment