Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Reading and Recuperating, Part II

When I look around my library, I’m inundated with books waiting to be read, or at least examined before I assign them to our Little Free Library.  I decided to read books from my shelves next as I continued on my road to recovery.  Besides we needed to refresh the offerings in our LFL by switching out books.

The Black Ice, by Michael Connelly
Grand Central Publishing, 1993

It’s Christmas but LAPD detective Harry Bosch has no holiday plans, so when he hears over the police scanner that a body has been found in a two-bit hotel, he’s curious.  It should be his case since he’s on call but it’s immediately referred to Robbery-Homicide and one of the highest ranking officers in the department.  This doesn’t sit well with Harry, and he soon manipulates his way into the investigation.  An undercover cop is dead, an apparent suicide, but what is his connection to the Mexican drug trade in black ice--coke, heroin and PCP “rocked” together.  A typical Bosch book--violent, intricately plotted, with a moral dilemma that Harry does his best to resolve.  I have to admit I bought this paperback a couple months ago despite having tons of books waiting to be read. I wanted to read one of the first Harry Bosch police procedurals, because the early books give insight into Harry Bosch’s character and provide background for later novels. 


Death is Disposable, by Even Marshall
Worldwide Mystery, 2012
This is the first of a series featuring a New York Sanitation Department garage supervisor Anna Winthrop.  This unlikely scenario works when you consider that sanitation workers go everywhere in New York City and see what others don’t.  Anna befriends a homeless man who is later found dead behind her apartment building, making her a suspect.  Anna decides to find out more about the homeless man who she knew as Isaiah in hopes that she can discover his killer.  The plot meanders at times, but this book was better than I thought it would be.  The premise was so unlikely that every time I started to put it in our LFL, I would get curious all over again.  A mystery series featuring garbage collection?!?  Finally I just decided to read it.


Murder Is Binding, by Lorna Barrett
Berkley Prime Crime, 2008
Tricia Miles is proprietor of a mystery bookstore, Haven't Got a Clue, in the fictional town of Stoneham, New Hampshire.  The entire downtown is devoted to different kinds of book stores, or shops related to books (my kind of town), so maybe that’s one reason I enjoyed this cozy mystery.  When the owner of the cookbook shop next to Tricia’s shop is murdered, Tricia decides to find the murderer because the police seem to think she did it.  I had started reading this book before and didn’t care for it, but this time I grew to like the characters--Tricia, her annoying sister Angelica, the local newspaper owner/editor and the book store employees.  There are now ten books in this series, and I would read more if they appeared in my Little Free Library.  I swear I’m not buying any more books for a long time.

5 comments:

  1. I've been a fan of Connelly's Harry Bosch for years, but have only read them sporadically. I think I'd like to read the series from the beginning--it has been over 20 years since I first read a book in the series, and then, only what the library had available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Bosch mysteries are really popular in our LFL so I find some there and any copies I leave there disappear quickly. I have a couple more waiting to be read that came from the LFL.

      Delete
  2. If I had a dollar for every time I swore I wasn't getting more books . . . I could probably afford to buy them all new instead of getting at clearance outlets and community fundraisers. ;-)

    That bookstore cozy sounds like a wonderful, if unrealistic, premise. I have to seek that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freely admit I have a book problem. It helps somewhat to have a Little Free Library to use as an excuse. With events in the real world so troubling, it's sometimes nice to read a cozy mystery where everything turns out as it should--even if murder is often involved. Great cover on the Scottish Bookstore mystery.

      Delete
    2. Oops, the Scottish Bookstore mystery is in tomorrow's post, I like this cover, too. Sucker for bookstores!

      Delete