Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's a Mystery

As I've mentioned before, I'm a mysterious person--well, actually I said I'm a mystery person.  No matter what else I'm reading, I always have a mystery going, too.  Blame it on a misspent youth spent reading Nancy Drew.  Nancy was a sleuth, she was independent, she had her own sporty roadster, her hair was stylishly coiffed, though she sometimes wore a cloche.  I didn't know what half the words meant, but I was sure they were indications of how cool Nancy was.  I've been hooked on mysteries from that day forward.



J.A. Jance writes a mystery series featuring Joanne Brady as the sheriff of Cochise County, Arizona.  I picked up the fourth book in the series, Dead to Rights, from my library shelves because I was wanting to read a light mystery with familiar characters and scenarios that didn't feature soul-sucking Specters (as found in my most recent Once Upon a Time selection).  I just wasn't sure whether I had already read this book or not.  I read the first few pages of the book, and that still didn't help answer my question.  So, I just kept reading.


Sheriff Joanne Brady is a recently elected official; she ran for county sheriff after her husband, the previous sheriff, was murdered just months before.  Sheriff Brady is the single mother of a daughter, juggling a stressful and time-consuming job, her difficult mother, all the while trying to make it in a traditional male domain. 

In this book, a veterinarian is murdered and the list of suspects, as in all good mysteries, is long.  Initially Brady and her staff suspect a man whose wife was run down and killed by the vet the previous year while he was driving drunk, but Brady soon realizes the list of suspects is quite a bit longer. 

Finally the climax comes and the murder is solved--with all the villains paying dearly for their murderous greed.  Now I know the answer to, "Who murdered the vet?" but I still have no idea whether this was the first or second time I read this book.

4 comments:

  1. When I was in the 4th grade, my father said I could bring no more Nancy Drew library books home unless I read something worthwhile, too.

    I started bringing home books on archaelology. By no means, did I abandon Nancy, but I learned to love history, architecture, and artifacts of all kinds!

    Saw a beautiful cloche in New Orleans; the store had not opened yet, as it was before 10 AM, but that probably saved me some money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother probably was glad I wasn't reading comic books, but soon I started reading all the books she had ordered early in her marriage from Doubleday or Reader's Digest book clubs. I remember her looking at me reading some adult book and saying, "I guess it's okay for you to be reading that book" as if she couldn't quite remember what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Beth, I have your blog address and am so enjoying the entries! Looking forward to seeing you in May.
    Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clark. I trust you all got to visit some during Beth's most recent Memphis trip, too. It will be great to see you again!

      Delete