Sunday, April 1, 2012

Once Upon a Time

I read on my friend Jennie's website, A Garden Carried in the Pocket, about a reading adventure for spring called "Once Upon a Time." 

The author of the blog, Stainless Steel Droppings, has for six years issued a challenge to fellow bloggers to read or watch TV/movies that are classified in one of the following four broad categories: Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology, including sub-genres and blending of genres listed above.  The challenge  allows for minimal (one book only) participation or more in-depth involvement--reading a book in each of the categories. 



You had to sign up to officially participate in the challenge and there were deadlines and rules that, as a new blogger, I was unaware of, so I don't think I am a "real" participant in the challenge.  However, as the natural world outside my window emerges from winter dormancy in magical spring fashion, it seems to me like a good time to re-explore the world of fantasy reading.  And, of course, there are unread books languishing on my book shelves that fit these criteria. 

I decided to start with Robin McKinley's 2000 retelling of Sleeping Beauty, Spindle's End, and I'm so glad I did.  Once I slogged through lengthy descriptions of the magic properties of the fictional country where the tale is set, I was hooked.   The plot is intricate, magical, yet believable.   The characters are multi-layered and their daily lives interesting, successfully woven into the complex web of  the evil spell always hovering over the princess and the entire kingdom.  Princess Rosie, along with her adopted family, Katriona and her Aunt, and Rosie's best friend, Peony, are strong female characters--Rosie and her protectors aren't helpless victims waiting for prince charming to save them.  McKinley's evocative narrative moves seamlessly and inevitably toward the action-filled climax on the princess' 21st birthday.   The plot twists and surprises that Newberry Award winning author, McKinley, interweaves into the story make it more satisfying than the original fairy tale.

Because Rosie has a special affinity for the animal kingdom, I had to include the gorgeous "Once Upon a Time" artwork, by Melissa Nucera, in this blog. 

 I'm especially enjoying my multi-tasking this spring as I sit in my small exercise room in front of my Highland cottage, lined by windows facing the patio, ride my recumbent stationery bike, and read or look at what's going on outside.  So, I'm now looking through my book shelves to discover more unread books that will help me meet my spring reading challenge.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sure you're a "real" participant! I think the only deadline was to be in a drawing for the artwork...as far as I can tell, you can sign up for the challenge any time. And besides, Carl's challenges are always very laid-back!

    Great choice starting with Spindle's End. McKinley does such wonderful fairy tale retellings. If you haven't already read Beauty and Rose Daughter, I highly recommend them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I haven't read anything else by Robin McKinley and I'm sure I would like the others. I read about them, but I've pledged to myself to read unread books from my own library this year because I have a thing about books, and I own so many unread books. I've decided I simply must attempt to read some of the books I own before I purchase more. I guess that's my personal reading challenge. So, I've started The Subtle Knife, by Philip Pullman, because I accidentally bought all three books once in a book club but only read The Golden Compass.

      Delete
  2. Teresa, you should sign up! I always read a bunch of books, but I don't always post them all to the review page.

    I've added Spindle's End to my wish list. I like McKinley, but haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to sign up and may have, but I couldn't figure out how to send a message after I signed so maybe I never signed up!?! Then I couldn't figure out how to link it to Carl's page as requested. I'm still on a learning curve!? I will save Spindle's End for you, I don't want it back so you can keep it until you are in the mood to read it.

      Delete