Saturday, July 28, 2012

Arm Chair Traveling, or Still Reading

Ricky and I are trying to decide whether our next big trip is to tour around the American West, or set out for an adventure in Scotland.  Ricky has become interested in whiskey-making (and tasting), and Scotland has a large number of distilleries, especially in the Highlands and Central Speyside sections of Scotland.  Of course, our ancestors hail from Scotland and Ireland so it makes a trip to that part of the British Isles doubly interesting.  Since my Scott (my maiden name) grandfather-- many greats added--who settled in Virginia in 1770's came from Northern Ireland, we probably wouldn't go there and would just confine our explorations to his wife's (my many great's-grandmother)
native country of Scotland. 

Actually, we have have no idea where we might end up on our next big adventure, but isn't thinking about traveling half the fun.  In reality, my next trips include several days next week in Dallas for work, then a trip back to Virginia to visit my family the following week.  I'm looking forward to these jaunts, too. 

In my reading, now I'm heading Out West again with two of my favorite mystery authors: J. A. Jance and Craig Johnson.

Damage Control, by J. A. Jance (William Morrow. 2008. 374 pages)
Sheriff Joanna Brady never experiences a dull moment, certainly not in this book as she juggles marriage, a new baby, the demands of her husband's "jobs" as an author and stay-at-home dad, and her teen-age daughter from her first marriage.  Joanna's mother's is acting more strange than usual, and several puzzling deaths are thrown in on top of all this for good measure. 

An elderly couple dies in a suicide pact, but their unfortunate deaths are puzzling as more information becomes available about their family circumstances.   If that isn't enough, body parts are found wrapped in plastic bags in the desert, and Joanna is determined to find out who is responsible for this gruesome crime, especially when she discovers the victim had developmental disabilities.

The action is fast paced and, unfortunately, Joanna loses one of her own before the perpetrator is brought to justice.  Add a couple  personal mysteries in Joanna's family that she seeks to resolve, and the 13th book is this series is another page turner.  With multiple deaths and sub-plots, there are many loose ends to tie up before this mystery ends  The action of the plot and the engaging characters are what make Jance's books satisfying to me, more so than the final resolution. 

This was another of those books that I found on my library shelves.  A friend passed this mystery along to me sometime in the past, and I appreciate her generosity--it provided me with light summer reading, which I find relaxing after a day at work.

Tomorrow I'll continue the blog with a review of Craig Johnson's Another Man's Moccasins, a Kindle download.

5 comments:

  1. If you do choose Scotland, there's a fun book you might want to buy and bring with you - Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram by Iain Banks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, thanks for telling me about this book. I'm going to get it for my husband--belated birthday gift! I always enjoy your blog and the incredible photographs!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Scotland! Edinburgh is a wonderful city to visit, especially during the Fringe Festival. I can still cry about Glencoe and Culloden. The Highlands are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we ever actually start planning a Scotland trip, we need to talk to you. What is the Fringe Festival? I was reading some genealogy while I was at my mother's, trying to see what I could find out about my ancestor, Rachel Holmes' Scottish background. Family lore has her being from Scottish royalty if you go farther back in her family. She ran off with the family's groom, migrated to America in late 1700's and had 8 kids and a happy marriage.

      Delete
  3. I've been twice to the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh (the first and largest of its kind). Here are some links to last year's visit: Edinburgh

    Fringe

    You would SO love it! Google Edinburgh Fringe to get an idea of the range of arts presented.

    ReplyDelete