Saturday, March 16, 2013

Still Puttering about the Garden

Since my stated goals for my current semi-retired state include spending more time outside in the "garden" (loosely defined as the outdoor space around my house) and learning more about photography, I decided to combine the two intentions today.  I continued with the Zen of pulling weeds and puttering, repotting a few plants I had rooted over the winter.  Time will tell whether they survive.

Then after Ricky took some photos of flowers in our yard and of course his pictures are dang near perfect, I decided to get out the camera that Ricky gave me (his old one!) and take photos.  Ricky says that is the only way to learn to take good pictures is to take a lot of them.  It is such a gorgeous day and spring in Louisiana is truly beautiful, especially before the pollen tints everything yellow, that I figured it would be hard to take awful photographs! (And besides I have Adobe Photoshop, so I can cheat a little.)

The following photos give you a peek at our "garden" spaces and flowers:

My favorite late blooming Camellia beside the cottage porch is bursting with flowers.
 
It hasn't yet gotten too warm to kill the winter pansies and violas in the planter--Mardi Gras colors!
 
The Gerber Daisy in a pot outside my exercise room has bloomed almost all winter.


These yellow flowers in a pot survived the winter and are blooming on the cottage patio.


The bearded irises are starting to bloom beside the carport.
 
The azaleas along the drive-way are blooming
(There is always a cat sleeping, hidden in azaleas--can you see him?)


Baby's Breath and Azaleas line the drive-way
 
Also blooming beside the drive-way are the sweetest clump of snowdrops
(Scientific name: Galanthus nivalis)
 

The last flower on today's tour is a tiny one blooming beside the drive-way--it could be a weed or wildflower.  I really don't know much about flowers or plants, if you haven't figured that out by now.  I grow them, inherited a lovely yard when we bought the house, but often don't know what I have--I guess that's another goal to add to my retirement list!

1 comment: