Saturday, September 5, 2015

Watching Football and Baking Fig Bread

It’s September, and although the weather is still hot here in Louisiana, college football is on the TV, and my thoughts are on baking.  Finally I feel like heating up the oven, besides I enjoy making quick breads in the fall.  Thoughts of my morning cup of Community Coffee with a slice of _______ (fill in the blank) are highly motivating.

Come on, Vols!

Today I thought I would try a loaf of fig bread.  Unfortunately I have no figs but I did find a jar of homemade fig preserves in the cabinet.  I thought I would try that as a substitute.  (Note: I’m printing original recipe because it is definitely better.)

Fig Bread
Cook Time: approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour
Total Time: 1 ½ hours

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups ripe figs, mashed
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • cup chopped pecans
Preparation:

Beat eggs; add sugar and beat well.
 


 

Add the mashed figs and vegetable oil.

Sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon.
 

Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the mixing bowl. Beat well.
Fold in chopped pecans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in greased and floured loaf pans. (Check frequently--it may not take that long to bake.)


Makes 2 large or 3 small loaves. (Mine only made one large loaf.)
 
Now if my football teams would only have good seasons.

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks delectable! I love quick breads: banana, zucchini, pumpkin, so I'm sure that the fig bread is wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick breads are my favorite thing to bake in the fall. I missed out on zucchini this summer though.

      Delete