Thursday, June 28, 2012

What Next? Zucchini Corn Bread!

This week has flown by and there seemed to be no time or energy for blogging.  One night we attended a going-away party for one of my husband's colleagues, another night I had one of my neighborhood association board meetings, plus the preparations for the meeting. I've worked every day and worked out, too.  Before I knew it, the week was coming to an end and the weekend was beckoning! :-) 

However, you probably won't be surprised to learn that I still managed to try out a new zucchini dish this week--zucchini corn bread.  I'm a country girl, and I do love my corn bread with the Farmer's Market fresh green beans.  I found the recipe in my hometown Big Brothers/Big Sisters cookbook, and several of my sister's friends had submitted it, so that was enough endorsement for me.  Comfort food from home...

So, here's the recipe....

Zucchini Corn Bread

3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup self-rising corn meal
1/4 cup self-rising flour
1 1/2 sticks of margarine, melted
3/4 cup cottage cheese
2 cups shredded zucchini

Combine all ingredients.  Pour into greased pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
Batter looks like this
Baked corn bread detail
The corn bread was moist and delicious.  This would make a good foundation for a hearty Mexican corn bread.

Fortunately, last weekend I had time to read so I have four more "beach" reads to share with you tomorrow. These are all Kindle downloads--two selected because they do have beach settings, and I spent last summer reading about France so this year I guess my focus is the beach. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Since I don't care for cottage cheese, do you have an idea for a substitute??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricotta? Yogurt? Tofu? You don't taste the cottage cheese of course but you can see the curds a little bit. It was actually better the first time I made it. Not sure what I did different though.

      Delete