Thursday, April 11, 2013

An Exercise Space of Ones Own

A room of ones own needs to be part practical, part whimsy, part funky, with a mixture of indoor and outdoor elements.  Today's featured space is my exercise room.

You may have seen Daisy, the cat, and I enjoying a warm morning on the patio this week (if you look at Facebook), but today I'm featuring Katrina, the neurotic sleeping porch cat, because she often keeps me company as I ride the recumbent bike in the mornings.  I love my tiny "bike room" that used to be kind of a fancy potting shed where I also made teacup bird feeders out of vintage teacups and saucers. 

Katrina watches the patio & backyard as I exercise.
 
Now it's morphed into the exercise bike space but still retains the close to nature feeling next to the patio.  We added this area onto the guest cottage when we renovated it, but the room is accessed only from outside. 

Hmmm, my better photo of this entry area turned out to be on movie setting rather than still photograph.  Oh well.....I used the phone on these shots rather than my good camera because I always have the phone with me when I exercise so it's convenient.


You enter through the door and you're in my private, "room for only one person" exercise area. 

This is what I see from the exercise bike as I ride each day, catching up on emails, Facebook and, of course, reading.




Painted floor of the exercise room

Ricky laid the floor in this room and then we painted and distressed it.  I'm certainly no expert with sponge stencils but I still like the effect, splotches and all.  There are a couple of more utilitarian elements of this room not depicted in these photos, i.e.,  a TV and a sink, both of which come in handy at times.

Garden fairies also occupy this space.  They bring good luck to all the plants.


 
 


 

And I'm pretty sure this pot shard lady keeps an eye on things when I'm not in here.



 
This planter beside the back door that made it through the winter.  See what I mean
about the English flower fairies bringing good luck to our flowers!
English dogwood, or mock orange, growing beside the carport.

 
One great thing about my partial retirement is having more time to move about
our house & grounds, enjoying all the special places.

What about you? What do your special places look like? 
















6 comments:

  1. I don't think I would do anything while riding the bike except look out those windows. So beautiful, so soothing, and somehow they remind me of England. I think because I saw a picture in Victoria Magazine years and years ago of a space outside that looked much like yours. Love the moss in the bricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. I get the same sort of tranquil feeling when I look at the photos in your blog. I do like to create environments that make me happy, and my husband's taste and mine mesh so often he's the one who makes the hard elements happen, e.g., building the patio from old bricks left at this house when we bought it; creating a fountain from old rocks and found objects etc. Ricky is a keeper!

      The color scheme of my library is from a potting shed shown in an old Victoria magazine. I just took the picture to paint store and had them mix paint to match.

      Delete
  2. That's neat about the library. I loved the old V. but I don't think the new one holds a candle to it.
    I also love the way your husband uses old things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I'll pass the compliment on to Ricky! He has old "stuff" stored in lots of place as he awaits inspiration and time :-) .

      Delete
  3. Yep, you have a lovely view from your exercise room! But then, everything about your place is lovely. :) Isn't it nice to have married a man of many talents! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I do agree that Ricky is a keeper! BTW, I love the pictures of your gardens at the cabin!!

      Delete