Monday, April 29, 2013

The Aviator's Wife: A Novel, by Melanie Benjamin

Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Lindbergh had already made the extraordinary solo flight across the Atlantic and was "the man of the hour," Anne Morrow was the shy daughter of the U.S. ambassador to Mexico when they met at Christmas 1927. It surprised many people when he selected the unassuming Anne to be his wife in 1929. However, Anne learned to fly and served as his navigator/co-pilot on subsequent landmark flights and achieved flying feats of her own. 

Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh were the golden couple of the late 1920's through the 1930's.  Most people know the basic facts of their lives.  He was the first man to fly solo across the Atlantic. Once they married, the public fervor surrounding their lives has been compared to that focused on Princess Diana with equally disastrous results.  In what was termed at the time as the "crime of the century," their first child, Charles Jr., was kidnapped and murdered when he was a toddler. 

They survived this tragedy and went on to have 5 other children together.  In the years before World War II, Lindbergh disappointed his admirers when became a Nazi apologist, a believer in racial purity and an isolationist. Anne was even persuaded by her husband to aid his cause with writing of her own.

Later, Anne Morrow Lindbergh redeemed herself by renouncing her lapse in judgment and authoring a timeless book, The Gift from the Sea.  No doubt like many of you reading this, I read The Gift of the Sea long ago and loved it, but that book and the sketchy facts outlined above were the extent of my knowledge of the Lindberghs.

(Delacorte Press, 2013, 402 pages)
This fictionalized account of the Lindbergh's life together fills in some of the emotional landscape of their relationship.  I wasn't surprised that I didn't care for Charles Lindbergh as I read this novel.  After all, the title of the book is The Aviator's Wife so we know it will be from her perspective, but I was surprised to discover that I didn't find Anne herself to be a sympathetic character in this book, though she is obviously meant to be.  At the first of the book Anne was so full of doubts and angst that I found her tiresome.  When she finally became her own person in the book, the transition was rather abrupt.

Charles Lindbergh would leave his wife and family for months at at time.  Later the world would discover that he had three other families and fathered 7 children by women in Germany.  Two of the women were sisters, one was his secretary in Europe.   In this novel, Anne discovers his other families at the end of his life and confronts him and they achieve some measure of peace as he dies. 

I did find the author's notes at the end of the novel to be interesting as she described some of the events she fictionalized and what she gleaned from the biographical documents of the Lindbergh's lives.  Reading The Aviator's Wife has made me curious enough to want to read more about Anne Morrow Lindbergh so I can judge her character for myself.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't know all that about the Lindbergh's before. Some, yes, but very little. I guess I never really paid that much attention to their history before.

    I'm still undecided about this book. I find the historical aspect interesting, but am not sure I'd enjoy it given your description of Anne.

    Great review, by the way! Very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Anne Morrow Lindbergh is a complex woman and I wanted her to stay elevated on a pedestal because I admired, Gift from the Sea. This author made her seem kind of self-serving but would like to "hear" Anne's voice through her biographers or her diaries, though heavily edited, and see if I like her better.

      Delete
  2. Lindbergh was a puzzle, and so Anne must be as well. Years ago, I read Gift from the Sea and one of the books of her diaries and letters. She had such a personal manner, self-effacing, and yet full of such interesting observations about people and nature. You've made me want to return to her diaries and letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read a non-fiction account of her life, either biography or diaries, next. I definitely think Anne was complicated and I wanted her to be all good.

      Delete